About

Our History

The Society was formed 1872 by Countess Tasker  From Middleton Hall, Tasker Lane (now Middleton Hall Road, Brentwood) and was called the Brentwood and District Gardeners and Allotment Society.
 The first shows were held at Middleton Hall, (now Brentwood Preparatory School).
In 1922, Mrs Lescher presented the Lescher trophy.  Presented for highest points in Vegetables, it was won outright in 1924 by Mr W Rossiter. The trophy was given back to the society as a perpetual trophy.
In 1933, Mr Bayman presented the Professional Gardeners Challenge Cup,  this was also won outright by Mrs Sherry and donated as a perpetual trophy in 1935, and won by Mr Bayman in 1936. Many clubs in the area benefitted from Mr Bayman’s generosity.
Our first recorded Summer Show was in 1949, when the society changed its name to Brentwood Horticultural Society.
There was a break away in 1951 and The Guild of Brentwood Gardeners was formed in 1952.
The Trading store was opened in 1963, and continues to this day. The same year Floral Art was introduced to the show schedule and in 1968 The Floral Art Club was formed and ran as a separate club for several years.
Membership peaked in the late 1960s at 750 members.
We started holding monthly meetings in 1970. In 1981, an annual photographic competition was introduced at one of the monthly meetings and was well supported for several years.
 In 1982, the management of 8 allotment sites was taken over from Brentwood Council. Hartswood, Park Road, Ongar Road, Bishops Hall, Honeypot Lane, River Road, Middle Road, Crescent Road.
 In 1991, the Brentwood Cage Bird Society joined us our Autumn Shows, which was beneficial to both societies .
From 1986 to 2000 the society exhibited at the Brentwood Town Show, which was an excellent finish to the show season.